Friday, July 16, 2010

Wolf In Sheep's Clothing


I've been a part of their world for nearly seven years. I am one of them now. Like a caged monkey at the local zoo, I've become a part of my surroundings. Other than my pony tail I blend in fairly well. They are called Harrys. The uber arrogant male species that lurks pit road and the garage area at NASCAR sanctioned events coast to coast.
I am often asked "How do you tolerate all of those men?" Truth is I don't know. Its really kind of easy now. There was a time when every fart, burp, catcall and crude joke used to cut through me. Now I curse like a sailor (a handy trait should I ever be confronted by an angry sailor). I laugh at the crudest of all jokes, in fact most of them come from me. I drink cases of beer. I even check out and rate the beautiful women we see (please note: I am not a lesbian).

The real question is "How hard is it to remember to turn off the BoysClub switch on Girls Night?" Actually this is the biggest challenge of it all. At one time flying beneath the men's radar and just doing my job was a daily task. Now I catch myself just trying to blend in amongst my own species, the females.

This past Sunday I assisted in hosting a birthday party for my best friend. Suddenly I realized how much time I have spent around the Harrys and not the Harriettas. I am good at looking the part, I put on a cute little outfit and flat ironed my hair. I looked like a girl, but I felt like a poser. I had forgotten how to hold a light conversation about life and love. I didn't do a good job at dividing my two lifestyles that day.

Perhaps I didn't spend enough time getting into girl mode before arriving at the party. Maybe I should have had Alicia Keys playing rather than Blink 182 while i was getting ready. I had accidentally left the house with my rough exterior still on. I was a bonefied wolf in sheep's clothing.At one point I found myself trying to explain the off-color joke I just told. A joke that I undoubtedly picked up from the Harrys. Let's just say it wasn't greeted with bursts of laughter.

Sometime around mid-summer the guidelines of male and female get a little hazy. Life on the road from February to November begins to take it's toll. My thoughts become very black and white. I lose my sensitivity filter and I say what I am thinking. Eventually the smelling salts kick in and I begin seeking forgiveness for my actions. I am blessed to have 12 outstanding girlfriends who understand me in the best way they possibly can. They shrug their shoulders, laugh and say "Oh that's just Ashley"
So for me "tolerating" one or the other isn't the most challenging part of what I do. Keeping them divided is.

Men are from Mars and Women are in fact from Venus. I am working daily to find the universal language between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment